OGC Web Services
Data published through the OGC Web Services (OWS) such as
- Web Map Service (WMS);
- Web Feature Service (WFS);
- Web Coverage Service (WCS);
and online data using the following specifications
- Geography Markup Language (GML);
can be connected to and portrayed on the geoportal.
In order to connect any of the above mentioned data sources, go to Map tab in the main menu and then click on OWS as shown in the figure below.
1) enter the URL of the service or online data source (e.g. WMS service from the URL http://firms.modaps.eosdis.nasa.gov/wms/?SERVICE=WMS&VERSION=1.1.1&REQUEST=GETCAPABILITIES),
2) select the appropriate standard from the drop-down menu and
3) click on the Connect button.
See the following figure.
The list of layers is displayed. Selected layers (1) can be portrayed in the map by pressing the To map button (2). See the following figure.
The layers are then added in the Layer tab and the data are portrayed in the map window.